Saturday, May 14, 2011

Grading, Assessment and Evaluation

Summary of this week’s discussion:

This week for our discussion board we made log in names and posted comments on the study, on the beach website http://studyonthebeach.com. At first I had a hard time with the system (this was NOT user-error, but system-error). After I was granted access into the discussion board I did enjoy the set up much more than BB discussion board. The lay out is much easier to follow along with, and I find it to be more user- friendly.
The study on beach is a great forum for student to communicate with teachers and other students in the classroom.
I also have found myself on similar forums for my traveling experiences. In the past I have used:
This is a great website for those who love to travel, but do not want to spend the money on a hotel or a hostel. The website is set up for those to log in and crate a profile and volunteer their couch to other travelers or when traveling request a couch in a certain country. Though I have not actually participated in sleeping on random strangers couches, I have met up with people from couch surfer.org.
 This past summer I backpacked through Paris, and one of the individuals that showed us around the city had originally been from couchsurfer.org. It is a great site for those who are willing to expand themselves and make new friends. For those that are a little uncertain about meeting up with random strangers they also have organized group activities where individuals in a certain country can meet others in that area who  also share a love for traveling.



In one of my recent classes we have discussed online forms and how they are now playing a part with the social support theory. This theory is based upon the ideology that others gather strength and information through a group setting. Online forums have become a great place for those with terminal illnesses and addicts to share stories and gather information.
I would be interested to see what the future holds for online forum and social support.


Assignment:
For our testing and other forms of Evaluation week I chose to download the 30 day free trial and made a quiz on http://www.questionwriter.com/
I would advise you to place your thoughts on a word document first before opening the test, that way you can cut copy and paste without having to worry about being kicked off the exam.
 If you are kicked off the exam please email ASAP so I can allow you access back in.
This midterm covers the material that we discussed in class including Wiremen’s scholarly article concerning Intercultural Communication Competence as well as Gudykunst article about Anxiety Uncertainty Theory.
Bellow is the link where you find your quiz.  You have two hours to complete it. Good Luck!!
 C:\Users\Andrea Proctor\Desktop\GradSchool\ETEC 674\ICC midterm - HtmlExport\index.html


Research Report : Intercultural Communication Midterm
Teacher Name: A Proctor
Student Name:     ________________________________________
CATEGORYAdvancedWell-DoneAveragePoor
Paragraph ConstructionAll paragraphs include introductory sentence, explanations or details, and concluding sentence.Most paragraphs include introductory sentence, explanations or details, and concluding sentence.Paragraphs included related information but were typically not constructed well.Paragraphing structure was not clear and sentences were not typically related within the paragraphs.
Quality of InformationInformation clearly relates to the main topic. It includes several supporting details and/or examples.Information clearly relates to the main topic. It provides 1-2 supporting details and/or examples.Information clearly relates to the main topic. No details and/or examples are given.Information has little or nothing to do with the main topic.
Amount of InformationAll topics are addressed and all questions answered with at least 2 sentences about each.All topics are addressed and most questions answered with at least 2 sentences about each.All topics are addressed, and most questions answered with 1 sentence about each.One or more topics were not addressed.

4 comments:

  1. I also used Quick Writer to write my test..I love this tool! It was straightforward and easy to use! I think I might want to purchase it for future purposes.

    Thanks for the suggestion with traveling and hotels, I will have to try The Couching Surfing Project next time I decide to take a trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to travel and I am definitely going to check out couchsurfing.org. It looks like a great site. When I went to Italy and Holland, I stayed in many different hostels with my sister and we just explored ourselves, but it would have been nice to meet up with a group. Thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That travel site is great! I've used CruiseCritic, and it seems like a similar site - that's for the share!

    I also like your instructions for your assignment - especially the part about getting kicked off the site! I know that causes alot of chaos with online tests, it is really great you thought of the user!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed your post. I've heard about couchsurfing, but haven't known anyone with any experience with the practice. I can imagine it would be a great way to meet interesting people!

    ReplyDelete